Sunday, November 13, 2005

 

Daylight Savings Time: Blessing or Boondoggle?

Kevin: Blessing. Why? Maybe because it just breaks up the everyday, ho-hum monotony. Do we lose an hour half of the time? Yes. Does this create more pressure for deadlines, cause sleep loss, or stress us in general? Most definitely. Do you work best under pressure? You better believe it. We are America, people! We overcame an oppressive nation, a brutal Civil War, two World Wars, and about 3000 failed attempts at the light bulb. We conquered the West, space, and the Boston Red Sox's World Series curse. We are a group of determined people, and so we have instituted another challenge in an entirely new dimension: time. Can we overcome it? Can you? Of course you can! That's the spirit! Even if you don't enjoy the challenge of springing forward each year, even if it's an ever-so-slight bother, ask yourself, "Don't the advantages of falling back trump my petty inconvenience?"

Matthew: Weirdly, Kevin grants some of the disadvantages of DST immediately, without ever listing an advantage. Why are we abiding by this ancien regime? Simple inertia. I grew up in Phoenix, where we don't do DST. When I lived in another part of the country, I realized all DST is now is just a bad habit - there's no good reason you keep doing it other than the fact that you always have. The emperor doesn't have any clothes, friends. The modern conceit of DST doesn't save a minute of daylight. The sun comes up at the same real time no matter what hocus-pocus you pull with your clocks. And how is messing with clocks twice a year supposed to be a challenge? Kevin, if you really need a challenge, I'll have Caleb change your clock every night so that you never know what time it is when you awaken.

Kevin: It's called stealing your thunder, Matt. I anticipate your arguments and marginalize them. That's what I did. See? They are marginalized. Matt, you need to remember that we aren't arguing whether DST is a misnomer; that is a red herring. We are talking about whether DST is a blessing or boondoggle (if you readers think it's in between, please vote for me on account of better looks). I have lived in regions that observe DST my whole life, and it has become something that I look forward to each time. A change of pace, if you will.

Matthew: Making my case isn’t what I would call stealing thunder, but you’re free to use your words as you choose. God gives us plenty of “changes of pace” between seasons, weather, and the circumstances of our lives. Do we really need to manufacture another one that creates all kinds of problems every single year? Look, I realize many people got their ballyhooed extra hour recently. But consider that awful day in Spring when you lay down knowing an hour of precious sleep will be stolen from you in the night! It’s a sham, it’s a scam, it’s a shame.

Kevin: Sham: hoax, defraud
Scam: ruse, swindle
Shame: disgrace, ignominy
Blessing: anything that makes happy or prosperous
Boondoggle: wasteful expenditure
True, I have addressed the perceived negative spin of DST. The advantages of falling back far outweigh disadvantages of springing forward. DST isn't sham, scam, or shame. It's blessing. 'Nuf said.

Matthew: And again I ask – WHAT advantages? You’ve said “challenge, change of pace, something to look forward to.” That’s supposed to outweigh that it’s a pointless hassle, and a problem-creator, not a problem-solver? Let’s stop all this springing and falling every year and just accept the time as it is.



Time has run out for these two, so spring forward to the Vote function below and make your voice heard!

Comments:
I had my mind made up before reading the arguments, or I should say, before reading the empty paragraphs. Matt wins for being on the correct side. DST is a boondoggle.
 
I should be nice and give you two credit: Matt did make a good argument, and Kevin avoided the tired "gas savings" defense.
 
I'm going with Kevin on this one. Just because I LIKE DST :-)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?